Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Last Days

I am entering the last days of work. I have decided to quit, about two and a half weeks ago. I cannot believe the time has come to leave. I have been at the same place for 6 years. It feels funny to be telling people, "Tomorrow is my last day so give me a hug, because I don't know if I will see you." I have not felt the need to cry about it as of yet. Maybe tomorrow, the last day, the tears will flow.

It is the longest job I have ever had. And when you have a job for that long at the same place you build so many relationships with your staff. I have been working with the same group of people for 6 years so you know eachother well.

You know eachothers kids' names, dogs, husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends. You hear about all the drama on the different shifts and eventually take sides and then change sides. It is like living one giant soap opera.

I am going from a job with hundreds of different people that I talk to everyday to a job where is is only going to be me in an office alone everyday. I think right now that I am going to love it, but I think I will miss it a great deal.

There are those certain people that have left a mark on me and I think I will miss them the most. My bosses for instance have always been good to me and I will miss joking around and listening to their stories the most. Sharing things in my life with them and theirs with me. Talking with them was always like therapy with me. If I ever had doubts about anything, worries or joys I knew I could talk to them about it.

I have a few of my "girlfriends" that I will miss also. I think when I am sitting at my new desk they will pop into my head. Whenever something happens that I think is funny or when I have come up with a new smart ass remark, I will miss running to tell them about it. I will miss their reactions to things that I tell them, or even to cry together when we find out something good or bad. The sounds of their voices will never leave me and if I ever really and truly miss them, I will just give them a call and give them a hard time. But nothing will ever beat seeing them everyday.

As my boyfriend says it is the end of an era. I have a lot of bad memories, but I have more great memories that will last forever. I have a lot of friends that I want and plan to keep.

I'm on my own now and I have only myself to cheer up when I am feeling down in the dumps but a friendly voice is never too far away.

I love you guys, you know who you are!!!!!!!!!!! M

No comments: