Thursday, December 17, 2009

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...


We know where the wedding is going to be, we know what day (as long as we can get the deposit together soon), we know who is going to be in the wedding party, the dress - shoes - tiara and veil have been picked out. Now comes the interesting part...the invitations, cake, flowers, hotel, makeup person...etc. All of the decisions that are most definately going to give me a headache in the long run. I'm trying to get help from my little fiance, however, he's not all that interested in some of it. I ask him to help me pick things out and he does to a certain point but, then he tells me to make the final decision. You would think that it would be nice to have full power of some of the decision making...I can get what I want! But it's so much harder because I have to take into consideration price and all that stuff. I wish I could just walk into a store and say, "I'll take that, and that and that" But like every other bride, it's just very rarely like that. It's ok, it's just more time consuming I guess.

When I started doing the planning, I was thinking how easy it was going to be to plan it. I knew what I wanted so it would be simple to pick out the final products, but it wasn't. I know what I want but then there is finding the store or vendor that may have it, but then put price into the equation. Tricky, tricky.

I know what kind of bouquets I want, but can I afford it? If I can't will I be able to come up with an option that I can live with and not cringe at when thinking about it? The same with the cake. It's so scary! I don't want to look at my wedding pictures and say...I really didn't like my cake or my flowers, but otherwise it was nice. I just think those are the things that you will remember and I want to come to compromises that I am happy with, I don't want to settle.

And with all the decisions comes tons upon tons of questions...should I have a seating chart? Do the bridesmaids pay for their dresses, shoes and hair to be done or do I? What is the etiquite for letting people know where you're registered at? I thought that reading all these wedding magazines would help me, but it's just putting more are more questions in my head, I'm left spinning. I look to Cisco for answers but he looks like he wants to hide and not come out until September.

I know it will all work itself out, but right now it's just seeming like a lot.

~M

3 comments:

Summer Ryan Doyle said...

Some advice from a bride of years past:

-Choose bridesmaid dresses that are pretty but not too expensive and have the maids pay for them. (Sometimes offering a choice within a collection of dresses in the same color but slightly different styles makes for happy women with very different body shapes)

-Tell bridesmaids there will be someone available to do hair/makeup if they want it done (and they should pay for it). Otherwise they can do it themselves. Just get a head count in advance so you can book enough time with makeup artists.

-Seating charts are rife with potential problems, but they're still better than having poor aunt Mabel stuck without a table or forced to sit next to your wild coworkers. In the end, people usually spend more time up than seated anyway.

-Having beautiful flowers and cake will make the pictures nice, but they are NOT the things you will remember from your wedding. You will remember your first kiss, your first dance, the friends that were there, the horrible/wonderful speeches, and the way you feel just perfect. Try to find beautiful things for your party, but believe me when I tell you they won't be that important in the long run. And they're not worth going into debt for.

Ms. Marie said...

Oh Summer...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! There are so many questions that are killing me to find answers to and I am so glad that you gave me so much advice on many of them! I was stressing out about the dresses, just thinking about how much that was going to cost me, as well as the hair. I plan on having a makeup artist, but was definately not going to pay for that one, lol. I can completely see what you are saying about the flowers and the cake, and again thank you so much for letting me know all that, you are the first person to tell me all that and I'm so glad!

Summer Ryan Doyle said...

Let me know if you have any more questions - I'm happy to help!