Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines...

Valentines day...what an over rated "holiday" if you can even call it that. I have slowly began to hate this so called "holiday" just because it's over rated, over priced and over the top. Why can't every day be Valentines Day? Why does there have to be a whole day dedicated to showing that special someone that you love them? Cisco helped me see the light in that aspect. Olivia was so excited and asked me what I wanted or hoped that Cisco got me for Valentines and I told her that I didn't want anything except a card. She was completely taken back by that. She said, "BUT IT'S VALENTINES DAY!!! HE'S SUPPOSED TO GET YOU FLOWERS OR JEWELRY OR SOMETHING!!!" I continued to explain to her that flowers were overpriced during this time of year, the normal bouquet that you would by to show some love is normally $20 dollars or less, but for Valentines day it's around $60. Jewelry would be nice, but we can't afford those things right now, so a card would be perfect.

I normally don't expect anything during holiday's...execpt for a a card. I am a stickler for cards. That is the one thing that I will ask about, "did you get me a card?" It doesn't even have to be a card. It can be a note written in crayon on construction paper, a post it, some tree bark, on concrete, in the sand or in the dirt. I don't care, but it's just nice to get something that says that you are loved, regardless of the day. It could be on Presidents Day for all I care. It's just so wonderful to get something that you don't expect. It can be placed in the car, on the fridge on a cabinet...doesn't matter. Sometimes it's just nice to get something that is unexpected to put a smile on your face for the day...it beats bills.

For all of those that think that Valentines Day is something that needs to be celebrated and expensive presents bought, I'm sorry, you have officially been trapped by the "Hallmark" monster. (I love Halllmark, but I have to draw the line somewehere) However, I do wish everyone a wonderful holiday.

~M

2 comments:

Monique Rielle said...

I agree on your sentiment on Valentine's Day. Totally and completely over-rated. If you happen to have a somebody, you have to worry about getting the perfect romantic gift and if you don't have a honey then its a sad day. Bleh. I've always hated it.....but with that being said, i hope you got lots of kisses and love!;)

Ms. Marie said...

I did and that was all that mattered...I'm glad that you were able to spend it with someone special too...

~M