Sunday, August 10, 2008

Along With The Olympics...Comes the Ridiculous...

Ok, please somebody tell me that this is all a joke and at the end of this year's summer Olympics they will say "April Fools" or something to that extent. I am not an avid Olympic watcher, I sit to some of the events, like swimming and gymnastics. But to sit there and watch a soccer game, no. Or to watch ping pong, uh no. The other morning when Cisco and I were sitting down and drinking our coffee and in an attempt to find some thing interesting on at 7am, which is impossible by the way unless you enjoy infomercials, we came across some of the Olympics...PLAYING BADMINTON. WTF...since when is playing birdie something that you could get a medal at! I think that anything that you could play at a family picnic should not be up for Olympic status. Personally if that is the way things are then they should have marbles or thumb war as an Olympic game. I don't know it's just ridiculous. I also found out that speed walking is in there too, give me a break. In this event they should have all the middle aged women in my neighborhood walking there dogs to see who comes in first, it shouldn't be some 20 year old. I just think that it was better when it was swimming, gymnastics, track and field and the other obvious choices. Maybe that is why I don't get into the Olympics that much anymore, because it's just getting silly now.

~M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happened to be google-ing for badminton photos, and came across your blog. I am sure that you are a very nice, repectable lady but your dismissisal of badminton - a sport of which I am an avid enthusiust - is difficult for me to accept because of your stated "can-be-played-at-family-picnics" argument. I would like to point out that "back-yard" badminton is not of the same calibre as olympic badminton, just as what you point out as being "true" olympic sports (swimming, gymnastics, track-and-field) can be technically performed through uncompetitive, relatively "easy" means in a back-yard pool, before doing "back-yard" cart-wheels, followed by a "back-yard" children's footrace. I am not being critical, I am merely trying to educate people on the facts of something that I hold dear. I you find yourself angry/annoyed at my comment here, you can e-mail me at bgendre@hotmail.com.